The hotels located in Cayo
were recreated in the architectural design of singular elements
of what was formerly San Juan de los Remedios, founded in
the XVI century, the eight between populations that were
established by the Spaniards on the island. Its many small
musical bands celebrated the Cayo.
The interior of the ship San Pascual was taken back after
it was run aground in 1933 in the neighborhood of Cayo Frances.
It is an authentic relic of the naval engineering of the
time. This ship with reinforced concrete was built in 1920
in the shipyards of San Francisco, California. It was destined
to transport honey but during World War II, the US troops
established an air post.
The causeway that connects Cayo Santa Maria to the village
of Caibarien received the Prize from the International Bridge
de Alcantara, highest prize of all times received by Cuban
civil engineers. The prize recognized the remarkable and
excellent quality of the construction. Of the 46 structural
points of this bridge, the engineers took into account the
ecology of the region and the fact that the zone, crossed
by a causeway, was one of the most attractive regions of
Cuba. The diversity of its biological species and its many
eco-systems could have been damaged during the construction
that began in December of 1989.